Monday, March 31, 2014

Tutorial for shambala bracelet

So many plans and so little time. Months ago I bought a piece of cord and some beads to make a shambala bracelet. As I a child I used to macrame whole tapestries and I wanted to try this technique again. Last night I finally did.


I found several tutorials on the internet, but ended up doing it my way. This is what I did:
  1. tie a double knot in the end of a piece of cord of 40 cm (16 in)
  2. fasten this on a clipboard
  3. fold a cord of 1.60 meter (5.3 ft) in half to find its middle
  4. start with 15 square knots at 8 cm (3.2 in) from the knot
  5. add one bead, make 3 square knots, add another bead, make another 3 square knots and add the last bead
  6. make another 15 square knots
  7. make a circle of the short cord by holding the ends together each pointing in opposite direction and make 20 more square knots on both ends together
  8. finish by making a knot in each end of the long cord very tightly to the bracelet or make two tight knots with both ends, and make a double knot in the end of the center cord
Would I do it again, I would change the fifteen knots in the beginning and the end into twenty, and the twenty on the two cords together into ten. Just as many square knots, but keeping the ends a bit more out of sight.


It was fun! Hope you enjoy it too.