Friday, March 7, 2014

Marcel Wanders design exhibition in Amsterdam

From February until mid June the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam is having a survey exhibition on Marcel Wanders to celebrate his 25th anniversary as a designer. In 1996 Wanders became world famous with his Knotted chair, made of macrame.


Wanders is renowned for his product, furniture and interior designs and his art direction. In the Stedelijk four hundred items are on display ranging from furniture, utensils, wallpaper, packaging and jewelry to images, sketches, prototypes and experimental work.


I spent a day at Museumplein also visiting the Rijksmuseum, but I enjoyed this exhibition most. I love Wanders' use of traditional techniques and images turning them into interesting and exciting new items. And I love his use of colors - often bold, like the size of many of the objects.




The lamp shade below of course appealed to me instantly. On the description next to it, it says it is woven, but I'm sure it's knitted. It's soft, wooly and radiant ánd it's really wearable.



Great exhibition. Go there, if you have any opportunity.